Monday, November 8, 2010

Travel

Today I found out that I would be spending spring break in Buenos Aires, Argentina with my best friend Jen. This will be my first excursion in to South America and I am truly excited! There is nothing better than traveling to a new city or country. I love to explore the new sights, sounds, smells, and even tastes of a new place and really immersing myself in the culture.  One of my favorite memories of travel was when I spent three months in Amsterdam in the third grade. While January through March proved to be pretty chilly and gray, I loved the beautiful vibrantly colored tulips. Red, butter yellow, blushing shades of pink all added color to the cold cobblestone streets and gloomy green-blue canals. More than the flowers and ambiance, I loved the food. One of my all time favorite treats was Stroopwafel, a delicious little waffle shaped cookie dipped in caramel that can be served warm or cold. One night we went to an amazing restaurant called d'Vijff Vlieghen, or, The Five Flies. Filled with history, the restaurant was in the heart of medieval Amsterdam, set in a 17th century townhouse that had been beautifully restored. While I love exploring and seeing new places, my eight year-old self was not ready to get lost in the Red Light District. On our way to lunch with a few business clients of my father's, my family and I ended up taking a wrong turn and ended up in Amsterdam's famous Red Light District. It was day time and I was so confused as to why there were women in windows in their underwear.I remember asking my mom "Why are those ladies in their underwear?" and her replying with something along the lines that they were warm and trying to cool off.




Despite the possibility of ending up in a Red Light District, I truly love getting lost in a new city or country and stumbling upon little restaurants with delicious cuisine, old buildings with lots of history, and even encountering some new sights, sounds, and smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment